Distributed Generation Solutions
Over the last several years, there has been a rapid rise in Distributed Energy Resources (DER), in particular distributed generation from PV in forms of residential rooftop, small utility scale and commercial solar installations. Because renewable energy is dynamic and intermittently variable in nature, distribution grids must now enhance their network’s capabilities to accommodate this new resource, while maintaining efficiency and superior power quality for their customers.
As penetration of DER increases, the problems caused by DER are also increasing, and are in some cases causing utilities to limit the amount of DER that can be installed on their distribution grids. These problems include:
- Voltage flicker due to rapidly varying wind speed or cloud cover
- Inability to regulate voltage due to rapidly changing generation levels and reverse power flow
- Increased maintenance on traditional voltage management systems such as voltage regulators, capacitor banks, and transformer load tap changers due to rapid changes and generation and voltage
Our Distributed Generation Solutions are 15kV distribution class shunt compensation systems that provide utilities & projected developers with a purpose-built tool to address applications that demand fast and precise volt/VAR compensation, such as those driven by increased DER penetration.
AMSC’s D-VAR VVO builds upon over 15 years of experience in manufacturing and deployment of D-VAR® dynamic reactive power solutions in utility networks. Featuring continuous control of reactive current, these power electronic compensators can be used to solve dynamic response limitations and costly mechanical wear issues associated with conventional switched cap banks and tap changing regulators. System benefits include:
- Sub cycle response and continuous control of current
- Extremely low power losses
- Low-Cost upgrade for DG hosting capacity
- Solve flicker and power quality problems
- Interconnect solar/DG plants in existing feeders
- Eliminate CVR performance bottlenecks
Click Here to request a D-VAR VVO White Paper