Over the last several years, there has been a rapid rise in Distributed Energy Resources (DER), in particular distributed generation from PV in forms of residential rooftop, small utility scale and commercial solar installations. Because renewable energy is dynamic and intermittently variable in nature, distribution grids must now enhance their network’s capabilities to accommodate this new resource, while maintaining efficiency and superior power quality for their customers.
As penetration of DER increases, the problems caused by DER are also increasing, and are in some cases causing utilities to limit the amount of DER that can be installed on their distribution grids. These problems include:
- Excessive voltage deviation due to rapidly varying wind speed or cloud cover
- Inability to regulate voltage due to rapidly changing generation levels and reverse power flow
- Increased maintenance on traditional voltage management systems such as voltage regulators, capacitor banks, and transformer load tap changers due to rapid changes and generation and voltage
Our Distributed Generation Solutions are distribution class shunt compensation systems that provide utilities & project developers with a purpose-built tool to address applications that demand fast and precise volt/VAR compensation, such as those driven by increased DER penetration.
AMSC’s D-VAR VVO® is a distribution class shunt compensation system that provides utilities & project developers with a purpose-built tool to address applications that demand fast and precise volt/VAR compensation, such as those driven by increased DER penetration. D-VAR VVO builds upon over 20 years of experience in manufacturing and deployment of D-VAR® dynamic reactive power solutions in utility networks. Featuring continuous control of reactive current, these power electronic compensators can be used to solve dynamic response limitations and costly mechanical wear issues associated with conventional switched cap banks and tap changing regulators.
- Enhancing feeder voltage regulation performance
- Low-Cost upgrade for increasing DG hosting capacity and EV fast charging capacity
- Quickly solve flicker and power quality problems
- Interconnect solar/DG plants in existing feeders
- Eliminate conservation voltage reduction (CVR) performance bottlenecks
- Sub cycle response and continuous control of current
- Extremely low power losses
- Meets stringent integrity standards for overhead distribution equipment
D-VAR VVO® Installations
D-VAR VVO® Product Resources
Ideal for meeting grid interconnection standards, D-VAR systems are a scalable distributed generation solution STATCOM. Located at the wind or solar plant substation, our D-VAR systems cost effectively provide the dynamic reactive VAR compensation that is essential to connect renewable power plants to the grid effectively and meet even the most stringent interconnection requirements.
Request A Whitepaper
Request a Whitepaper from AMSC